Dessert is a delicious course of food taken before the conclusion of a meal. It generally includes sweet and beverages. The word dessert is taken from French word “desservir”. Many people have a bad impression that these desserts are high calorie foods and are the main reasons for heavy weights. But, there are many deserts which are very light, delicious and healthy. In this article let us discuss about some of the low calorie desserts.
Top 5 Healthy Low Calorie Dessert Recipes
Caramel Cream Cheese Custard (Flan De Quesco)
This delicious cheese custard is made up of reduced-fat cream cheese which makes the dessert a gluten free one and delicious in its taste. You can enjoy the rich taste of the custard without worrying about the high calories. I generally takes 6 ¼ hours to complete this dessert which includes 5 hours of cooling.
- Sugar- 1/2 cup
- Water- 2 tbsp
- Reduced fat cream cheese- 8 ounces
- 14-ounce sweetened non-fat condensed milk- 1
- 12-ounce low-fat evaporated milk-1
- Vanilla or any other flavor of your choice- 2 teaspoons
- Large Eggs-8
- Before starting the recipe preheat the oven to 350°F
- Prepare the caramel by cooking sugar and water in a small saucepan for 5 to 7 minutes over medium heat. Gently swirl the pan until the mixture turns golden brown.
- Now pour the prepared caramel into a 9-inch round metal cake pan and warm it in the oven to uniformly swirl the caramel to cover the bottom.
- Whip the cream cheese using a mixer at medium speed until it turns soft. Add beaten eggs one at a time, condensed milk, evaporated milk and mix them well until all the ingredients are mixed well. Then pour his mixture into already prepared pan.
- Now take a larger pan and place the cake pan in it and fill with water to cover up to 1 inch up the sides. Bake for about 1 hour until it turns into golden color and then make sure that it is completely baked. You can check it by inserting a knife in the middle of the cake, if it comes out clearly then the cake is fully baked.
- Now take the cake pan out and let it cool under the room temperature for 1 hour and the put it the fridge for 4 hours or overnight. The delicious and healthy low calorie cream cheese custard is ready to be served.
Strawberry Short Cakes
Cakes are generally high calorie foods with lot of fat content in it. The ingredients like sugary cake and whipped cream make it a fatty food which doesn’t meet your dieting plan. So in order to make it healthier and tastier than the fatty one you can use the low saturated fats and calorie free sweeteners.
- Non- Calorie Sweetener- 1 tablespoon
- Cornstarch- 1 tablespoon
- Orange Juice- 1 cup
- Vanilla or almond extracts – ¼ teaspoons
- Fresh and sliced strawberries- 1 and half cup
- Sponge cakes- 6 shells
- Take a small saucepan and mix the sweetener, corn starch and orange juice. Boil the mixture and stir it continuously for 1 minute to thicken the mixture. Then remove the mixture form heat and stir it until it cools down.
- Now add the sliced strawberries to the orange juice mixture stir it and chill the mixture for 30 minutes.
- Serve the prepared sauce over the desert shells.
Strawberry Shortcake Baked Oatmeal
Oats are a very healthy source for a planned and healthy diet. Instead of simply mixing them in milk and eating, many alternative and healthy recipes are being introduced day by day. One of such recipe is the strawberry shortcake baked oatmeal which is the low calorie breakfast to start a healthy and fit day. It serves just like strawberry shortcake for breakfast. It is more beneficial when eaten immediately after taking out of the oven.
- Mashed Strawberries- 2 tbsp
- Milk – 2 tbsp
- Pure Vanilla Extract- ¼ tbsp
- Nut Butter or low calorie oil- 1 tbsp
- Rolled Oats- 1/2cup
- Salt- 1/8 tbsp
- Low Calorie sweetener
- Before starting the recipe grease the oven bake pan with oil or the butter and keep it aside. Now mix the mashed strawberries, rolled oats, salt and low calorie sweetener in a bowl.
- Now pour the mixture in the greased oven bowl and heat in the oven at 380 F and bake for 28 minutes.
- Now the firm baked oatmeal cake is ready to eat.
- You can add coconut butter or ice creams as a toping and enjoy the real taste of Oats in a healthy way.
Pineapple Raspberry Parfaits
This recipe is very simple and easy to prepare which can be served as a healthy breakfast or snack. It takes just 5 minutes to prepare these parfaits but the benefits show large impact on our health. It is low calorie and simple dessert that can be taken by any diabetic also.
- Non- Fat Peach Yogurt- 2 cups
- Fresh raspberries- 1 ¼ cups
- Fresh, frozen or canned pineapple chunks- 1 ½ cups
- Add the pineapple chunks and non-fat peach yogurt in a bowl.
- Now add the fresh Raspberries to make the most easily and quick dessert.
Cherries with Ricotta and Toasted Almonds
If you are calorie conscious and want a sweet tooth with low calories then the cherries with Ricotta and Toasted almonds dessert is the best recipe. This can be prepared in less than 30 minutes with minimum work and ingredients. This dessert is low calorie and low fat recipe which ensure health and low cholesterol.
- Frozen Pitted Cherries- ¾ cups
- Reduced fat skim Ricotta- 2 tbsp
- Toasted and slivered almonds- 1 TBSP
- Heat the cherries in the oven for one to two minutes.
- Now take these oven heated cherries in a cup and top them with ricotta and almonds
- To make this dessert more healthy use non-fat Ricotta instead of reduced fat Ricotta
These are some of the healthy and delicious desserts which satisfy your sweet tooth and ensure good health. These desserts are made with low calorie ingredients to make sure that everyone can enjoy these deserts without hesitation. These deserts taste great just as the fatty deserts. Try these desserts at your home and enjoy the delicious taste and live a healthy and happy life.